Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Sweet & salty.


This caught my eye the second I walked into K ki on Saturday. What can I say, it combines two of my favourite things - salted caramel and polka dots. I suppose the latter is subjective, but is there anyone who doesn't like salted caramel?

Sweet. Salty. Sticky but not toffee-sticky. Rich but not cloying. Frivolously fun, yet so damn luxurious.

I've never been one to content with a single assault of my senses. White chocolate, in all its cloying sweetness, just doesn't do it for me. Give me dark, 90% cocoa chocolate, where the sweetness is but a whisper from under bitter overtones. Give me sweet and sour pork, pineapple slices with dark soy sauce and chilli padis (odd but so good), hot chocolate lava cake with a scoop of ice cream... give me sea salt caramel.

This tiny bottle of goodness certainly doesn't come cheap at S$16.50, and I've taken to stashing it in a pantry drawer that almost never sees the light of day. (Except when our family's desperate.) I've only slipped it out twice since - for tea the Saturday I bought it, and for breakfast the next morning. It's unsurprisingly delicious on toast and biscuits, but I think a homemade tart may be the best canvas for it yet. Imagine a buttery, crumbly crust with generous layers of caramel, homemade custard and bananas. And dark chocolate shavings. You gotta have dark chocolate shavings.

These two recipes look mighty fine, too.

Caramel pumpkin pie on spicy icecream
(I love pumpkin! It's my favourite squash.)

And these chocolate caramel slices from butter sugar flour

I'd really love to bake something with the caramel BUT that would make a serious dent in the already tiny jar. Gosh I'm horrid. I'll make something. Definitely. For when the girls come round on Saturday. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment